Here’s a random recipe that was included in Sierra Nevada’s Newsletter.
It consists of having 3 bottles of Sierra Nevada Porter, 2 pounds of pork shoulder, coleslaw, 4 buns, and your favorite barbecue sauce. There are other required ingredients, but we will let the recipe stand on it’s own.
Pull Pork Sandwich, featuring Sierra Nevada American-style Porter.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt
- 2.5 bottles of Sierra Nevada® Porter
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, 12-14 ounces
- 4 buns
- 1.5 cups coleslaw
- Mix all dry spices in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture onto all sides of the pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker with 2 bottles of Porter. (The pork should be just more than half submerged in the beer.) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove tender, finished pork and flake apart with a fork. Move the flaked pork into a large skillet with high sides. Pour the slow cooker’s remaining liquid into the skillet, adding an entire bottle of BBQ sauce and 1/2 bottle of Porter. (Take a guess at what to do with the other half!) Under high heat, bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the pork for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Top hearty buns with a large scoop of pork, layer on some coleslaw and, at risk of stating the obvious, enjoy. This pork is also great in grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos, or just by itself.
Special thanks to Aften Detwiler & Sierra Nevada Brewing for the recipe.
About Aften Detwiler
Our Southern California Events Manager, Aften’s two biggest passions are craft beer and the outdoors. A food and beer aficionado, she is knee-deep in the Los Angeles craft beer scene, and in her free time she loves learning about beer, tasting beer, and whipping up drool-inducing, beer-inspired dishes. Stay tuned for more in future e-newsletters.