The brewery’s Obsidian Stout recently swept the world stage with top honors in all three of these prestigious international award competitions, taking home World’s Best Stout at the World Beer Awards and Gold from both the Brussels Beer Challenge and European Beer Star Awards.
Obsidian Stout wasn’t the only Deschutes award winner. Mirror Pond Pale Ale, one of the brewery’s most celebrated beers, won World’s Best Bitter (4-5%) at the World Beer Awards and a Bronze medal at the European Beer Star Awards.
The 2014 vintage of Mirror Mirror Barley Wine eclipsed all Deschutes beers at the World Beer Awards winning World’s Best Dark Beer, one of eight top honors handed out.
Karl Ockert, Director of Brewery Operations for Deschutes, said, “Here at Deschutes Brewery, we are constantly striving to brew beers that are innovative, tasty and high quality. We know there is more competition than ever before from excellent breweries around the world, so winning awards for our beers at this high level is a testament to our whole team that we’re succeeding at our mission of creating beers our fans will love. It is especially heartwarming to see fan favorite, Mirror Pond, continue to win top awards after 26 years.”
The brewery took home 13 medals in all at these three recent international competitions:
Brussels Beer Challenge
- Gold: Obsidian Stout (Category: American Stout)
- Gold: Down ‘N Dirty IPA (Category: English IPA)
- Gold: Chainbreaker White IPA (Category: White IPA/Hoppy Weizen)
World Beer Awards
- World's Best Stout: Obsidian Stout
- World’s Best Dark Beer: Mirror Mirror
- World’s Best Bitter 4-5%: Mirror Pond Pale Ale
- United States’ Best Imperial Stout: The Abyss
- United States’ Best Oud Bruin: The Dissident
- United States’ Best Strong Wheat Beer: Chainbreaker White IPA
- USA Silver Medal IPA: Fresh Squeezed IPA
- USA Bronze Medal IPA: Pinedrops IPA
European Beer Star Awards
- Gold Medal: Obsidian Stout
- Bronze Medal: Mirror Pond Pale Ale
About Deschutes Brewery
Founded in 1988 in Bend, Oregon as the region’s first brewpub, Deschutes Brewery has helped its mountain town home become a craft beer destination. Known for its generous use of whole hops in its defining beers such as Black Butte Porter, Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Fresh Squeezed IPA, the brewery also keeps fans on the edge of their bar stools with the release of small batch experimental beers each season. Over the years, Deschutes’ flagship brewpub has been joined by a main brewing facility on the banks of the Deschutes River in Bend, a pub in Portland and, coming in 2021, a new east coast brewery in Roanoke, Virginia. www.deschutesbrewery.com