The results from the 2016 BC Beer Awards have been announced and the awards handed out at the Croatian Cultural Centre, on Commercial Drive in Vancouver. The decisions this year were tougher than ever with judges choosing the winners in 30 categories, up from 20 categories last year. Over 750 beers were judged, submitted by 73 of BCs breweries to vie for the top prizes in this year’s categories.
Some notable standouts include a number of awards for Central City Brewers & Distillers that took home six awards, including two golds for their Pils and for Thor’s Hammer. Dageraad Brewing took home five awards including three golds for their Blonde, Blonde IPA, and Entropy Series No. 1.
Finally, Steamworks Brewing Company won 5 awards between the brewery and the brewpub, plus winning the coveted Best in Show award with their new Flagship IPA. Steamworks Brewer Julia Hanlon is also the first female Brewmaster recipient of the Best in Show award.
Congratulations to all of this year’s winners!
BC Beer Awards Results
BEST IN SHOW: Flagship IPA – Steamworks IPA
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Field House Brewing
CNC’S PEOPLE’S CHOICE: Pablo Esco Gnar IPA – Boom Box Brewing
TIMBER BREWERS MILD CHALLENGE: Brassneck Brewery
DAN SMALL HOMEBREW AWARD: Sho Ogawa & Novia Chen (2nd year in a row)
- 33 Acres of Darkness – 33 Acres Brewing Company
- Vienna Lager – Moody Ales
- Red Racer Pils – Central City Brewers & Distillers
German Pale Lager
- Red Racer Old School Lager – Central City Brewers & Distillers
- Keller Pilsner – Persephone Brewing Company
- Steamworks Pilsner – Steamworks Brewing Company
- Steamworks Kolsch – Steamworks Brewing Company
- High Country Kolsch – Mt. Begbie Brewing Company
- Arctic Kolsch – Swan’s Brewery
German Amber Beer
- Gladstone Altbier – Gladstone Brewing Co.
- Vienna Lager – R&B Brewing Co.
- Potts Pils – Moon Under Water
European Dark Beer
- Dark Lager – Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
- Baltic Porter – Cannery Brewing Company
- Red Racer Dopplebock – Central City Brewers & Distillers
Honourable mention: Brewmaster’s Black Lager – Okanagan Spring Brewery
German Wheat Beer
- Demimondaine Dunkelweizen – Barkerville Brewing Co.
- THIS IS HEFEWEIZEN – Moon Under Water
- Weizenbock – Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
- English Bitter – Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
- Red Devil Ale – R&B Brewing Co.
- Beacon ESB – Lighthouse Brewing Company
British Pale Ale
- Clover IPA – Big Ridge Brewing Co.
- Paddywhack Organic IPA – Nelson Brewing Company
- English IPA – Strathcona Brewing Company
British Brown Ale
- After Dark Ale – Nelson Brewing Company
- Tall Timber Ale – Mt. Begbie Brewing Company
- Aethelred the Mild – Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
Scottish and Irish Ales
- Classic Scotch – Steamworks Brewpub Gastown
- Irish Stout – Ravens Brewing Company
- 1880 Export Stout – Moody Ales
- 52 Foot Stout – Barkerville Brewing Co.
- Perfect Storm – Townsite Brewing Inc.
- 710 Oaked – Faculty Brewing Co.
- Thor’s Hammer – Central City Brewers & Distillers
- Wee Heavy – Persephone Brewing Company
- Wobbly Bob – Red Collar Brewing Company
- Pinot Noir Raspberry Blonde – Tin Whistle Brewing Company
- Red Truck Raspberry Ale – Red Truck Brewing Company
- Tropic Vice – Dead Frog Brewery
- Jackline Rhubarb Grissette – Lighthouse Brewing Company
- Spruce Tree Ale – Tofino Brewing Company
- Hibiscus Wit – Brassneck Brewery
Smok and Wood Aged Beer
- Entropy Series No. 1 – Dageraad Brewing
- Inertia II – Brassneck Brewery
- Thor’s Hammer Bourbon Barrel Aged – Central City Brewers & Distillers
- Roggen Weizen – Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
- Londen – Dageraad Brewing
- Sour Wheat Gose – Field House Brewing Co.
North American Light Beer
- Hooligan Organic Pilsner – Nelson Brewing Company
- Jerkface 9000 – Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
- Cypress Honey Lager – Granville Island Brewing
North American Blonde Ale
- Organic Wild Honey Ale – Nelson Brewing Company
- Postmark Blonde – Postmark Brewing
- Dutch Pale Ale – Field House Brewing Co.
North American Pale Ale
- Chase My Tail Pale Ale – Yellow Dog Brewing Co.
- One Hop Mind – Callister Brewing Company
- East Side Bitter – R&B Brewing Co.
North American Amber Ale
- 33 Acres of Life – 33 Acres Brewing Company
- Troller Bay Ale – Howe Sound Brewing
- Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale – Tree Brewing Co.
North American Brown Ale
- Bandit Brown – Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
- Slipstream – Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
- Kim-Ach-Touch Ale – Tree Brewing Co.
North American Porter and Stout
- Commander Imperial Stout – Dead Frog Brewery
- Stag and Pheasant Imperial Stout – Main Street Brewing Company
- Russian Imperial Stout – Moody Ales
North American IPA
- Flagship IPA – Steamworks Brewing Company
- Play Dead IPA – Yellow Dog Brewing Co.
- The Ultra Deluxe – Boombox Brewing
- Blonde IPA – Dageraad Brewing
- White ISA – Red Truck Beer Company
- YVR ISA – Steamworks Brewing Company
- 187 On An Undercover Hop – Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
- Cosmic Wave Double IPA – Tofino Brewing Company
- Second Anniversary Double IPA – Main Street Brewing Company
- Jongleur Wit – Strange Fellows Brewing Company
- Bier de Garde – Old Abbey Ales
- White Gold Witbier – Barkerville Brewing Co.
Belgian Strong Ale
- Dageraad Blonde – Dageraad Brewing
- Saison #7 – Main Street Brewing Company
- Old Barn Saison – Fernie Brewing Company
- 33 Acres of Euphoria – 33 Acres Brewing Company
- Central City Belgian Strong – Central City Brewers + Distillers
- 10 Degrees – Dageraad Brewing
Honourable mention: 8 Degrees – Dageraad Brewing
European Sour Ale
- Reynard – Strange Fellows Brewing Company
- Cantus Fermus – Main Street Brewing Company
- Bizarro – Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
North American Wild Ale
- Bodhisattva – Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
- Sour Raspberry – Old Abbey Ales
- Little Red One – Strange Fellows Brewing Company