Earlier in the month this writer updated the Happening Today calendar, to support a unique event - Hop Mob Triple IPA Roadshow. What I didn't do was provide clearer guidance on why.
Centered on the familiar concept (that more is better), the Hop Mob is the antithesis to any 'session' beer festival. With over 30 contributing breweries, this year's festival will be showcased at 7 different locations in Western Washington.
"To brew a good Triple IPA, brewers use a substantial amount of malted barley, which provides the elevated alcohol content. To balance-out the malty sweetness and give the beer it requisite hoppy character, brewers rely on substantial quantities of hop. In Washington, hope sare more than an ingredient; they're a way of life. The Yakima Valley produces between 75 and 80 percent of the nation's hop crop each year and some of the farms are operated by families that have grown hops for four and five generations." -Hop Mob Triple IPA Roadshow
Starting February 6th, the 'Road Show' visits Brouwer's Cafe (at 400 North 35th Street in Seattle, WA), to showcase over 30 different Triple IPAs. Available serving sizes are 6 or 12 ounces, along with flights upon request. The event starts at 3pm and will continue throughout the night.
Additional dates and locations are as follows:
- Participating brewers will be at the Flagstick Pub (at 15 Lake Street in Kirkland, WA), February 8th. That Sunday, Flagstick will feature several Triple IPAs from 1pm to 4pm.
- Thursday, February 12th, from 6pm; Naked City Brewery and Taphouse (located at 8564 Greenwood Avenue in Seattle, WA) hosts numerous Triple IPAs and brewers.
- Saturday, February 14th, Special Brews (in Lynwood, WA at 14608 Washington 99) will sacrifice their draft space from noon to close.
- Monday, February 16, Beveridge Place Pub (at 6413 California Avenue S.W. in Seattle, WA) hosts the next leg, from 2pm to close.
- Wednesday, February 18th, from 11am; The Red Hot (in Tacoma, WA at 2914 6th Avenue) is your next destination.
- Concluding Saturday, February 21st; the owners of Pike Brewing host a "festival style" event, featuring 6 (4 ounce) Triple IPAs for $18, with each additional (4 ounce) beer costing $2. Included in your $18 is 15% off of food in the pub. The "Hop Mob Finale" starts at 5pm and is located at 1415 1st Avenue in Seattle, WA.
For more information, visit http://www.wahopmob.com.
Northwest Beer Guide