|image courtesy Oakshire Brewing|
Raise your hand if you subscribe to one of the following forums/bulletin boards; Beeradvocate, Ratebeer, or Reddit. If you answered yes to any of these then you will be most interested in Oakshire's (located at 207 Madison Street Eugene, OR 97402) release of Hellshire IV. If you don't subscribe to any of the previously mentioned forums, then you will more than likely still be interested in Oakshire Hellshire.
This Saturday, while many of you are enjoying Zwickelmania and thawing out from the storm, Oakshire Brewing is set to release their blended strong ale Hellshire. Now in its fourth year, beer has remained a polarizing, blended, beer.
More on this year's Hellshire release Hellshire IV
"This year we went into our barrel cellar and put together a blend of 3 different beers matured in bourbon and brandy barrels and made a blend that we really like. We started with Very Ill Tempered Gnome as the base and made something akin to an Old Ale or Barleywine."
Polarizing you say? Then you weren't one of the unfortunate who purchased the second year's edition, only to find yourself the owner of a sour ale. But Oakshire's brewer Matt Van Wyk owned up to the mistakes and has perfected the beer ever since. In it's place has been an increasingly thought-provoking beer. Oakshire Hellshire IV is set to release this Saturday but that's not all the brewery is releasing.
Celebrating, in spirit and in draft form, will be beers from across the country featured at Hellshire Day.
- Breakside- Barrel-Aged Blended Ale
- Gigantic- Mervyn’s 24 Hour Sale (Imperial CDA aged in bourbon barrels)
- Hop Valley- Oak-aged Barleywine
- Widmer- Triple Threat (Imperial Stout aged in Pinot, Bourbon and American Oak barrels)
- 10 Barrel- El Capitan (Imperial Pumpkin ales aged in Jamaican Rum barrels)
- Logsdon- Cerasus (Flanders Style Red ale w/ tart cherries)
- Hopworks- Army of Darkness (Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout)
- Double Mountain-Aging Experiment #16 (Oak-aged Sour Strong Ale)
- Crux- Bandished Double Cross (Pinot Barrel-aged Belgian Dark Strong)
- Cascade - Barrel-Aged Diesel- Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout w/ Vanilla Beans
- Cascade – Tawny Port- Rum barrel aged NW spiced red ale
- The Commons- Gin Enkel- Belgian Table Beer aged in Old Tom Gin Barrels w/ apricots
- Upright Brewing- Undercurrent (Strong Amber Saison aged in Whiskey and Wine w/ Brett)
- Mazama- Port Barrel-Aged Grand Cru
- Ft. George- North the VII (Bourbon Barrel-aged Belgian-Inspired IPA)
- McMenamin’s High Street- Barrel-Aged Barleywine
- De Garde- Double American Black Ale aged in Gin Barrels
- 2 Towns- Bourbon Barrel Bad Apple Cider
- Nectar Creek- Imperial Bourbon Barrel Wildflower Mead
- Anchorage Brewing- Arctic Soiree
- The Lost Abbey- Spontaneous Cheer (Spontaneous fermented Wild Ale w/ White Peaches)
- The Lost Abbey- Angel’s Share Grand Cru (Blended Barrel-aged Strong Ale)
- Pizza Port Carlsbad- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Night Rider(Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout)
- 5050- Barrel-Aged Eclipse Stout (Special Keg from Brewmaster Todd Ashman)
- Stone- Red Wine Barrel-Aged Cali Belgique IPA
- Firestone Walker- Sucaba- Barrel-Aged Barleywine
- The Bruery- Mélange #3- (Blend of 3 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Strong ales including White Oak Sap, Anniversary Series Old Ale, and Black Tuesday)
- Two Brothers Brewing-Midwestern Death Metal- Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout w/ Espresso and Vanilla Beans
- Haymarket Brewing- Clare’s Thirsty Ale (Raspberry Imperial Stout aged in Woodford Reserve Barrels)
- Three Floyds Bourbon Barrel-Aged Behemoth Barleywine
- Half Acre- Barrel-Aged Chub Step Porter (Aged in “Triple Smoke” Whiskey Barrels from Corsair Artisan Distillery)
- Goose Island- Bourbon County Brand Barleywine
- Off Color brewing- Dwandle (Scurry((Dark Honey Ale) aged in second use BCBS barrels)
- Revolution Brewing- Horizontal Tango (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Dubbel)
- Pipeworks Brewing- Barrel-Aged Toasty Nut Abduction (Barrel-Aged Abduction Imperial Stout w/ cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, toasted coconut and almond)
- New Holland Brewing- Dragons Milk( Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout)
- Crooked Stave- Batch #60 (American Wild Ale Dry-Hopped w/ Citra and Amarillo)
- Cigar City Brewing- Kalevioeg at the Gates of Hell (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Baltic Porter)
Looking over the list of beers, featured at this year's Hellshire release, it would be easy to call anyone insane who passed up a chance to attend this festival. But if that list of beers doesn't get you speeding along Interstate 5 then nothing will. See you at 11 AM.
Northwest Beer Guide