Since 1996, the World Beer Cup has celebrated craft breweries across the land. Born out of necessity to educate the public, the ceremony recognizes achievement in brewing and education. Every two years the gala is held, each time in a different city. Back in 2006 the Pacific Northwest was fortunate enough to host the event as well as the Craft Brewers conference, in Seattle. This year the festival was held in Chicago where over 3300 entries from 26 countries, were judged with the winners announced last night (April 9th) at The World Beer Cup® Gala Awards Dinner.
Note, some of the highlights included Black Raven and Boundary Bay taking home three (3) awards, while Ashland’s Caldera Brewing taking home two (2). For your benefit we have highlighted those in bold print if they are available year-round if you want to try them yourself. So without any delay here are your regional brewery winners.
American-Style Wheat Beer (16 Entries)
- Gold, Shredders Wheat Barley Brown's Brew Pub
Baker City, OR
- Bronze, DD Blonde Hop Valley Brewing Co.
Smoked Beer (35 Entries)
- Gold, Caldera Rauch Ur Bock Caldera Brewing Co.
- Silver, Smoke Ale Rogue Ales
American-Style Dark Lager (12 Entries)
- Gold, Session Black Full Sail Brewing Co.
Hood River, OR
Ordinary Bitter (12 Entries)
- Gold, Drop Top Widmer Brothers Brewing Co.
Special Bitter or Best Bitter (30 Entries)
- Gold, Bachelor Bitter Deschutes Brewery
Extra Special Bitter or Strong Bitter (24 Entries)
- Silver, Organic Velvet ESB Hopworks Urban Brewery
Scottish-Style Ale (29 Entries)
- Silver, MacPelican's Scottish Style Ale Pelican Pub & Brewery
Pacific City, OR
Brown Porter (37 Entries) *Gold went to Black Raven’s Tamerlane Brown Porter
- Silver, Caldera Pilot Rock Porter Caldera Brewing Co.
Strong Ale (26 Entries)
- Gold, Outback X Bend Brewing Co.
German-Style Brown Ale/Düsseldorf-Style Altbier (26 Entries)
- Bronze, ALT Widmer Brothers Brewing Co.
German-Style Sour Ale (9 Entries)
- Bronze, Gose Upright Brewing Co.
Herb and Spice Beer or Chocolate Beer (109 Entries)
- Gold, Coco Jones Porter Black Raven Brewing Co.
Experimental Beer (51 Entries)
- Silver, Harvest Snipes Mountain Brewing Co.
Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer (113 Entries)
- Silver, Barrel Aged La Petite Mort Black Raven Brewing Co.
European-Style Dark/Münchner Dunkel (33 Entries) *Silver went to German brewery Klosterbrauerei Weltenburg GmbH
- Gold, Chuckanut Dunkel Chuckanut Brewery
German-Style Doppelbock or Eisbock (43 Entries)
- Silver, Dunkles Bock Boundary Bay Brewery
American-Style Dark Lager (12 Entries) *Gold went to Full Sail’s Session Black
- Bronze, Ben's Brown Golden Hills Brewing Co.
English-Style Brown Ale (46 Entries)
- Bronze, Mudslinger Ale Redhook Ales Woodinville
Brown Porter (37 Entries)
- Gold, Tamerlane Brown Porter Black Raven Brewing Co.
British-Style Imperial Stout (24 Entries)
- Bronze, Jay Walker Walking Man Brewing
Strong Ale (26 Entries) *Gold went to Bend’s Outback X
- Bronze, Cabin Fever Boundary Bay Brewery
American-Style Strong Pale Ale (59 Entries)
- Silver, Hop Bomb IPA Rock Bottom Brewery – Bellevue
Imperial India Pale Ale (69 Entries)
- Bronze, Imperial IPA Boundary Bay Brewery
About the photo’s author (Black Raven Brewing)
+Russ is a photo blogger and an avid beer fan who got immersed in beer and the Seattle beer culture through homebrewing and the thirsty pursuit of new craft ales to sample.