(Atlanta, GA) Starting its first year in the humidity and hospitality of Atlanta the U.S. Open Beer Championships is a unique competition since besides featured breweries & brewpubs from all fifty (50) states, and thirty-six (36) countries, but a first for a professional competitions, homebrewer entries. In all eight medals was given to the northwest breweries that submitted ales and lagers for peer review.
On top of individual medal awards a Grand Champion was named which was given to the brewery based on a point system totaled from a minimum of five (5) submissions. After all the judging was completed it was Deschutes that came out on top and proved that the United States is again the country to beat. Deschutes Brewing who has celebrated twenty-one (21s) years of brewing fine crafted ales and lagers from the mountains of Oregon scored over six medals in six categories from Porter to Sour Ale. Below is a list of the award winning beers.
- GOLD - Deschutes Twilight Ale (available)
- GOLD - Deschutes Black Butte Porter (available)
- GOLD - Deschutes The Abyss (released in January)
- BRONZE - Deschutes Mirror, Mirror (tied) (recently released)
- BRONZE - Deschutes Green Lakes Organic Ale (available)
- GOLD - Deschutes American Pale Ale
- GOLD - Deschutes Red Chair IPA (recently released)
- GOLD - Deschutes Belgian Sour Ale
The other Northwest brewery to bring home medals was Full Sail now in its tenth (10th) year as an 'employee owned' operation. Full Sail scored a Bronze for their Bohemian-style Pilsner LTD and a Gold Medal for their English-style India Pale Ale Full Sail IPA. Be sure to congratulate John Harris, Jamie Emerson, and the rest of the brewer's from the brewery at the shores of the Columbia River next time you see them.
- GOLD - Full Sail India Pale Ale (available)
- BRONZE - Full Sail LTD (recently released)
Congratulations to both Deschutes and Full Sail for providing another year of anxiety for not only the Northwest, but the rest of the world.